10 Reasons You Should Start a Blog
Being from one of the most hipster cities in America (I'm looking at you, Nashville), I meet a lot of bloggers. But I also meet a lot of people who have good ideas that don't start blogs. And I think they should. Here are 10 reasons why.
1. In today's digitized world, there is going to be a narrative about you online whether you like it or not. Why not write that narrative yourself?
2. Anything you want to write about can be unique, because you are different than everyone else that is writing a blog. Find the fresh spin that your life experience lends to the topic you love, and get to writing.
3. Even if you are writing in a more casual format than you do at school or work, keeping up your writing skills in any capacity is important. When it comes time to apply for that dream grad school or job, the written components of your application are going to be a lot easier.
4. Blogs are great connection tools and conversation starters - meeting cool people while doing something you love? That's a win-win.
5. Figuring things out and learning to customize your own site in Wordpress (or in other blogging platforms) builds useful and marketable skills.
6. Let your voice be heard. In addition to keeping current on the debates you care about, why not chip in and contribute your thoughts?
7. Hone your craft. Learning to write succinctly and support that writing with the correct visual content (photos, videos, original artwork, etc.) is a widely applicable creative lesson.
8. A blog can help you stay connected to friends and family around the world.
9. It doesn't matter if you can see the end game (advertising dollars, collaborations with big brands, freebies, etc.) If writing a blog makes you happy, that is reason enough to do it.
10. Finally, it's important to build a lifestyle where you can do what you love. Even if doing your dream job isn't a full-time option just yet, your blog can fuel your inspiration and determination to keep chasing those big dreams.